St. Anthony Foundation
On October 4, 1950 (the feast of St. Francis of Assisi), Franciscan friar Father Alfred Boeddeker, OFM, responded with the heart of St. Francis to give hope to his hungry and homeless neighbors, opening the doors of St. Anthony Dining Room. That first day Father Alfred and his helpers served 400 free meals.
Now, more than 60 years and 34 million meals later, the St. Anthony Foundation continues Father Alfred’s example of honoring the dignity of each person. People now come to St. Anthony’s not only to share in a meal, but also for clothing, housing and healing of both body and spirit.