Santa Barbara, 10th mission
Founded in 1786, Mission Santa Barbara, known as the "Queen of the Missions," was the first to be christened by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuen, OFM, and has continuously served as a parish church since its founding. The church was destroyed in 1925 by earthquake. However, restorations have returned it to its original grandeur of wrought iron, terra cotta and carved wood.
Located on a hilltop overlooking the city of Santa Barbara, the mission provides a spectacular view of the ocean. Today the mission continues as a parish for the local community. Mission grounds also include a retreat center, the archives for the Franciscan friars of the St. Barbara Province and the Santa Barbara Mission Archive Library.