Third Order Secular/ Secular Franciscans (OFS)
The Third Order Secular (Ordo Franciscanus Saecularis, in Latin), known as the Secular Franciscan Order, includes devout persons, both men and women. Members do not live in community, but live their everyday lives in the world. However, members do gather together in community on a regular basis. They make profession to live out the Gospel life and commit themselves to that living out the Gospel according to the example of Francis. The process of becoming a Secular Franciscans involves a commitment of from 18 to 36 months of formation. There are nearly 13,000 Secular Franciscans in the United States today.
- For information on the US National Fraternity, see: www.nafra-sfo.org.
- For contact information concerning a local fraternity in your area, all: 1-800-FRANCIS (1-800-372-6247), and follow telephone message directions, and the caller who is seeking out a local OFS Fraternity will receive a return call with contact information in the area of their zip code.
Four OFS Regional Fraternities exist within our Province of Saint Barbara:
- Saint Francis Regional Fraternity (Southern California) www.stfrancisregion.com (Includes 30 local OFS Fraternities
- Saint Junipero Serra Regional Fraternity (northern California / northern Nevada) www.juniperoserraregion.com (Includes 30 local OFS Fraternities);
- Saint Thomas More Regional Fraternity (Arizona / southern Nevada). www.stmregionofs.com (Includes 12 local OFS Fraternities)
- Troubadours of Peace More Regional Fraternity (Alaska, Idaho, Oregon & Washington) www.troubadoursofpeace.com (Includes 12 local fraternities)
“GOD HAS PLANS FOR US… AND GOD IS IN CHARGE” —FRIAR ALBERTO VILLAFAN IN GUADALUPE, ARIZONA It’s 7 o’clock...
Christ-Centered Franciscan Spirituality is an incarnational, earthy spirituality. God is close to creation, not far away, “up there.” As...
FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE FRIAR JOHN GIBBONS ON MISSION IN SIBERIA Friar John Gibbons, a native of Beaverton, Oregon,...